Skip Navigation Links2024-2025 CCS Catalog > Rights & Rules > Student Rights & Responsibilities

Student Rights and Responsibilities

Student Code of Conduct

Students are responsible for their conduct and CCS expects all students to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with its high standards of scholarship and conduct. CCS has adopted a student conduct code and rules for enforcement and the code also outlines students' rights and responsibilities. Students are expected to comply with the standards of conduct both on and off campus and acknowledge the college's authority to take disciplinary action. All students should familiarize themselves with the code, which can be found online at

Students with questions regarding the code should contact the SCC Vice President of Student Services or SFCC Dean of Student Support Services/Student Conduct Officer.

In addition, CCS follows all applicable federal and state laws regarding the prohibition of the use of firearms and dangerous weapons.

Per WAC 132Q-10-228, Community Colleges of Spokane prohibits being observably under the influence of any legend drug, narcotic drug or controlled substance or otherwise using, possessing, delivering, manufacturing, or seeking any such drug or substance, except in accordance with a lawful prescription for that student by a licensed health care professional or as otherwise expressly permitted by federal, state, or local law. Use of drugs and alcohol by any student on district-owned or used facilities, grounds, or motor vehicles, and at any college-sponsored activity on or off campus is prohibited.

Violations of the Student Code of Conduct shall be cause for disciplinary action. Disciplinary proceedings shall be conducted in accordance with WAC 132Q-10.

Complaint Procedures

Community Colleges of Spokane has established procedures to assist students who have a complaint or concern relating to an action by a member of the CCS community. It is the belief and practice at CCS that the best way for students to address concerns with faculty is to first meet with the faculty member involved and attempt to resolve the concern. If the concern involves a non-faculty employee, students are encouraged to meet with that employee’s supervisor. Students are encouraged to review the CCS Administrative Procedures outlining the processes for informal and formal complaints (CCS Administrative Procedure, 3.40.01-D Student Concerns).

Students who believe they have been harassed or discriminated against should refer to the Equal Opportunity/Nondiscrimination/ Title IX section of the Catalog to learn the appropriate procedure to follow.

In addition, the Higher Education Act (HEA) prohibits an institution of higher education from engaging in a “substantial misrepresentation of the nature of its educational program, its financial charges, or the employability of its graduates.” 20 U.S.C. §1094(c)(3)(A). Further, each state must have “a process to review and appropriately act on complaints concerning the institution including enforcing applicable state laws.” 34 C.F.R. § 600.9.

The Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC) accepts complaints through their Protection Title IV Student Complaint Portal.

For information, contact:

SBCTC Student Services
P.O. Box 42495
Olympia, WA 98504-2495
360-704-4315 or visit

Student Records: FERPA - Notification of Student Rights

FERPA: The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, requires that CCS adopt institutional procedures and guidelines in compliance with Public Law 93-380. Student rights to privacy are protected with certain restrictions on the disclosure of their student educational records and information. Students have the following rights, protection and privacy of their educational records at the Community Colleges of Spokane.

  1. The right to inspect and review their student education records within 45 days after the college receives a written request for access. If the requested records are not maintained by the Registrar's Office, the Registrar will forward the request to the appropriate college official. If the requested records contain more than one student, the student may inspect and review only the records portions which relates to them. Students must submit a written request to the College Registrar identifying the record(s) they wish to inspect. The college may charge reasonable fees for preparing copies for the students. The college reserves the right to have a college representative present during the review and disclosure of student records.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student's educational records the student believes inaccurate. A written request to the College Registrar identifying the records in question clearly identify the part which is inaccurate and specify why it is inaccurate. If the college decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the college will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of their right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Grades are not subject to amendment of a student records.
  3. The right to have some control over the disclosure of information from student's education contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. The college may disclose directory information (see Directory Information).
  4. The right to file a complaint with the US Department of Education concerning alleged failures by CCS to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington DC 20202-4605

Spokane Community College and SFCC are part of District 17, CCS. Educational records may be shared among the two entities for the purpose of admission, registration, library access, financial aid and billing.

There are exceptions which permit disclosures without consent such as disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the college in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including campus security personnel and health staff); contractors, consultants, volunteers, and other outside service providers used to perform institutional services and functions; a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.

Information from educational records may be released to appropriate persons in connection with an emergency if the knowledge of such information is necessary to protect the health or safety of a student or other person(s).

Federal and state officials requiring access to educational records in connection with the audit and evaluation of a federally or state supported educational program or in connection with the enforcement of the federal or state legal requirements.

Any person or entity designated by judicial order, or lawfully issued subpoena, upon condition that the college makes a reasonable effort to notify the student of such orders or subpoenas in advance of the compliance therewith (unless the order or subpoena specifically orders the student not be notified). The Patriot Act legislation requires that students will not be notified of such orders or subpoenas.

Upon request, the college discloses educational records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll, in connection with financial aid, to parents of dependent students to comply with subpoena orders issued by the US Attorney General under the USA Patriot Act, to accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions, and to organizations conducting studies on behalf of educational institutions.

FERPA also permits disclosure to the parents of a student regarding the student's violation of any federal, state or local law, or if any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under 21.

Information may also be disclosed for health and safety reasons, to an alleged victim as a result of a disciplinary hearing, and the final results of a disciplinary hearing to the victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense.

Directory Information (WAC 132Q-02-340)

The college may disclose the following directory information: The student's name, major field of study, dates of attendance, enrollment status (e.g., full-time or part-time), participation in recognized sports, degree or certificate earned, term degree or certificate awarded, and honors received. Students may request in writing that the college not release directory information through written notice to the Registrar.

College Records Release and Disclosure Restrictions

  1. Some records may be withheld by the college.
  2. Students may not inspect financial information of their parents, confidential letters associated with admissions, and records to which they have waived their inspection rights.
  3. The college will not release records that are not owned by the college.
  4. In addition, the US Department of Defense has authorized branches of the US military to access directory information from US colleges for recruitment purposes. Directory Information under this provision, called the “Solomon Act,” includes name, address, telephone listing, date and place of birth, level of education, academic major, degrees, received and the educational institution the student most recently was enrolled. Students who object to the release of the above information to military recruiters may request that this information not be released by written notification to the appropriate CCS Registrar's Office.

Requests and Appeal Procedures (WAC 132Q-02-370)

To obtain information on the process to contest the contents of your education records, ask for a copy of Student Rights and Responsibilities at the admissions or registration offices at SCC, SFCC or the off-campus centers.

Student Records Hearing Process

Upon examination of records, a student who believes that their record is inaccurate or misleading can request a formal hearing. Requests for a hearing should be directed in writing to the Registrar's Office at each college. When a date, time and place for the hearing have been established, a student may present evidence at the hearing and be represented by an attorney, at the student's expense. The hearing panel will include the vice president of student services/vice president of student affairs or designee and the student's adviser/instructor. The hearing process does not replace other processes for student grievances. For example, a grade appeal will be addressed through the Student Grade Appeal procedure in this catalog.

The decision of the hearing panel will be based solely on the evidence presented at the hearing. A written summary of the hearing will be prepared and distributed to all parties. The summary will include the reasons behind any decisions made by the hearing panel. The student's records may be amended in accordance with the ruling of the hearing panel.

A student may add comments to their record if they are not satisfied with the ruling of the hearing panel. Such comments will be released whenever the records in question are disclosed. For example, an explanatory letter from the student may accompany a transcript.

Students who believe the hearing panel results are in error may contact: the U.S. Department of Education by visiting

Access to Student Records


The official college transcript is a student's permanent record of grades. Transcripts are a legal document of enrollment at CCS.

A permanent official transcript will be sent to the student, a college, university or other agency upon the student's written request only. Requests for transcripts should be made online through the National Student Clearinghouse. Students must provide the following information: Student name, ID number, student signature, date of request and the name and mailing address of the institution or agency to receive the official transcript. For instructions on ordering official transcripts go to the CCS web site.

Online through the National Student Clearinghouse, use the web links below:

Students requesting an official transcript to be sent internally within SCC, SFCC and the off-campus centers, will not be charged the transcript fee.

Official, sealed or electronic transcripts are required by other institutions when a student transfers.

Transcripts from Other Schools

SCC and SFCC do not issue or certify copies of transcripts from other institutions. Transcripts reflecting a student's previous college education that have been submitted to the college as a requirement for admission become part of the official file and cannot be returned to the student. Any student desiring transfer of credits earned elsewhere must order official transcripts from the institution where the credits were taken.

Student Right to Know

CCS Student Right to Know Information may be accessed on the web at

Information on this website covers:

  • College wide retention, completion and/or graduation rates
  • Student diversity statistics
  • Athletic program participation rates and financial support data
  • Drug Free Workplace and Drug Free Schools and Communities policies and procedures
  • Health risks associated with the abuse of alcohol or use of illicit drugs and drug and alcohol abuse prevention resources
  • Use of copyrighted materials and penalties for copyright infringement
  • Acceptable use of information technology
  • Confidentiality and access of student records under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
  • Student tuition, fees, expenses, cost of attendance (net price calculator) and financial assistance available to students
  • Withdrawal procedures, refunds and return of financial aid
  • Academic program, accreditation and licensure information
  • Transfer credit policies
  • Services available to students with disabilities
  • Student conduct
  • Student rights and responsibilities
  • Student complaint processes
  • District security policies and crime statistics

Annual Security Report and Crime Statistics

The CCS Annual Security Report may be accessed on the web at

The Annual Security Report contains CCS policies and procedures regarding:

  • Reporting of criminal activity and other emergencies
  • Facility safety and access
  • Campus, state and local law enforcement agencies
  • Sex offender notifications
  • Timely warning notifications
  • Emergency response and evacuation
  • Prohibitions regarding the sale, possession and use of alcohol and illegal drugs
  • Student conduct
  • The handling of sexual misconduct offenses
  • Programs for safety and crime prevention
  • Drug and alcohol abuse prevention resources
  • Sexual assault and relationship violence prevention and resources
  • Procedures to follow if a sexual assault occurs
  • Definitions of consent, dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault/sexually violent conduct and stalking
  • Campus crime statistics for the most recent three calendar years

Paper copies of the crime statistics and printed copies of the right to know web page content are available in the Admissions/Registration offices of Spokane Community College and Spokane Falls Community College. Athletics reports also are available in the Athletics department at SCC, Bldg. 5, Room 109 and SFCC, Bldg. 7, Room 212N. The report on safety and crime statistics is available by contacting the SCC or SFCC Offices of Campus Safety.

SCC Office of Campus Safety
1810 N Greene Street, MS 2010
Building 50, Room 118
Spokane, WA 99217
Phone: 509-533-8624

SFCC Office of Campus Safety
3410 W Whistalks Way, MS 3160
Building 16, Room 145
Spokane, WA 99224
Phone: 509-533-3555

Community Colleges of Spokane does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation or age in its programs, activities or employment.

To receive this information in an alternative format, contact:
SCC, 509-533-7169 or
SFCC, 509-533-3838 or