Financial Aid

To be considered for federal, state or institutional student financial aid, individuals must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students must reapply each year. Applications may be filed after October 1 of each year for the following academic year. Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA application online.

Applicants seeking further information and deadline dates should contact the Financial Aid Office at one of the colleges or visit the college financial aid web site:

Many students who want to attend CCS need financial assistance to meet college costs. Grant assistance for eligible students is available through the Federal Pell Grant, Washington State Need Grant and State Institutional Grant programs. A number of tuition waiver programs exist for individuals meeting specific criteria. There are employment opportunities through federal, state and institutional work-study employment programs. Students may apply for Ford Federal Direct Loans (need or non-need based) and the Parent Loan (PLUS) through the Financial Aid Office.

Many sources of financial aid are available from public and private agencies, including the Veterans Administration, Department of Vocational Rehabilitation, Bureau of Indian Affairs/Tribal Education Offices, and Department of Labor and Industries. Contact these agencies directly for eligibility requirements.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Financial aid recipients must enroll in an eligible program that leads toward a degree or certificate and maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) to continue receiving financial assistance. The SAP policy has three elements of measurement: Credits, Grade Point Average and Pace of Progression toward Maximum Time Frame. Satisfactory Progress for credits is defined as completing a minimum of 12 credit hours in any given quarter in which the student is registered for 12 or more credit hours. A student registered for 9-11 credits (3/4 time) or 6-8 credits (1/2 time) must pass at least 9 and 6 credits respectively to be considered making satisfactory progress. A student receiving a Pell Grant based on less than 6 credits must complete all credits to meet SAP requirements. In addition, a student must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better at the end of each quarter of enrollment and earn a college level cumulative grade point average of 2.0 at the end of their sixth (6th) quarter of enrollment.

Pace of Progression toward Maximum Time Frame measures the percentage of attempted credits that were completed toward the student's Degree. Students must complete their degrees or certificates within 125 percent of the normal number of quarters or credits required to complete the degree or certificate. In addition, students must complete a set minimum percentage of their program coursework each year.

For complete financial aid regulations, call the Financial Aid Office:

BankMobile Vibe

Community Colleges of Spokane has partnered with BankMobile, a financial services company, to bring an efficient method of refund disbursement to students. Financial aid will be disbursed to students via BankMobile. Check out to learn more.


Community Colleges of Spokane provides free of charge to all current students and alumni a financial literacy program through SALT™, a nonprofit organization, that helps students manage their money and student loans.

Membership allows you to take advantage of members-only features like: Money-Management tools, online resources covering money management strategies for budgeting, credit cards, banking and much more.

For more information, visit, or call SALT's Member Support Team at 855-469-2724.

Scholarship Information

The CCS Foundation awards hundreds of scholarships each year. Applications are due March 15 for awards to be utilized the following academic year. Information regarding other scholarships and scholarship search is available through high schools, college career centers and the public library. Organizations, clubs and/or companies with whom students or their parents have some relationship occasionally offer scholarships. It is extremely important to start early, as scholarships usually are awarded on an annual basis with the year beginning in September.

To complete a scholarship application and obtain information, visit the CCS Foundation website.

Spokane Community College Workforce Transitions and Career Services and the SFCC Career and Community Engagement Center maintain comprehensive, up-to-date scholarship resources. Both centers offer software programs, web sites, books, pamphlets and databases containing current local and national scholarship information.

For more scholarship information, call:

Work-study Employment

Work-study is a financial aid program that allows a student to work on-campus or with approved off-campus employers to earn money to pay for college expenses. By participating in the work-study programs students gain practical experience in the workplace while having a chance to see if the program of study they have chosen matches their expectations.

For more information, call the Work-Study Office:

Worker Retraining Program

The Worker Retraining Program is designed to help eligible unemployed workers receive funding, if it is available, for retraining through SCC, SFCC or the off-campus centers. This program is a Washington State cooperative initiative between CCS and the Washington State Employment Security Department. Eligible unemployed workers include:

  1. Dislocated workers
  2. Laid-off workers receiving unemployment benefits
  3. Workers who have exhausted their unemployment benefits
  4. Formerly self-employed workers
  5. Displaced homemakers

Services include employment and training assistance, career counseling, school-to-work and job transition, goal setting, customized training for job skills upgrade and job placement.

For more information, call the Worker Retraining Office:

WorkFirst Financial Aid Program

The WorkFirst Financial Aid Program may pay for tuition, books and fees for students who are currently on Temporary Aid for Needy Families (TANF) through the Department of Social Health Services (DSHS). WorkFirst work-study also may be available.

For more information about this program, call: