Programs of Study

Students have access to a wide variety of educational programs at SCC, SFCC, and the IEL. A student may choose to complete the first two years of four-year degree programs, select among career and technical program offerings, or upgrade skills in preparation for work or college.

In order to give students an idea of some of the possibilities open to them, a number of suggested programs of study are provided on the following pages. The programs outlined are intended to provide general information. Students should seek detailed information from a counselor, adviser, the campus Counseling Center or Transfer Center.

Students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution after completing the first two years at SCC, SFCC or the IEL are strongly advised to consult with the community college counselor or academic adviser as well as the four-year institution they plan to attend. Requirements may vary according to the program and transfer institution.

More detailed information about the following can be found on subsequent catalog pages.



Community Colleges of Spokane, partnering with American Honors (AH), offers high-achieving students rigorous, interactive online courses that lead to transfer opportunities through its network of top-tier four-year university partners. American Honors classes are taught by SCC and SFCC faculty dedicated to promoting scholastic excellence. A variety of AH classes are offered each term.


The Reserve Officer's Training Program (ROTC) is an Officer commissioning program for the United States Army. Students who finish the program and graduate from a four-year institution receive a commission and become a 2nd Lieutenant in the US Army, National Guard or Reserve. Students who complete ROTC courses receive college credits in addition to the credits received in their academic discipline.

Army ROTC courses are conducted through CCS via a cross-enrollment agreement with Eastern Washington University (EWU). Students can earn the credits for the Basic Course while enrolled at SFCC and SCC in preparation for the Advanced Course. These classes are held at SFCC only.

For more information, call:


CCS Destination Eastern is a joint admissions program for academically eligible students who want to earn the first two years of a four-year degree at SCC, SFCC or an IEL education center, then transfer to Eastern Washington University (EWU) to complete their bachelor's degree. Students enrolled in this program receive specialized joint counseling and advising, quarterly transcript evaluation and registration as an incoming junior at EWU upon completion of the AA-DTA degree. There are admissions requirements, and space in this program is limited to 100 students. For more information, contact a counselor at SCC or SFCC, or e-mail


Community Colleges of Spokane has transfer articulation agreements that provide a "value-added" component to a traditional transfer program by allowing additional transfer credits, optional instructional delivery, preferred admission, etc. View current transfer articulation agreements online.



A student is eligible to graduate either (1) by completing the degree requirements in effect at the time of initial enrollment within four academic calendar years, or (2) by completing the requirements in effect at the beginning of the last continuous (summer quarter excepted) enrollment or (3) by completing the most recent requirements in effect during the quarter of graduation.

A candidate for a degree may include courses newly approved to meet degree requirements even though the course approval comes after the credit has been earned.

In instances where changes in professional degrees and certificates make the above guidelines inappropriate, the respective division administrator, working with the individual student, shall determine which degree requirements to follow.


Students who plan to receive a two-year degree or a one-year certificate must file a Graduation Application with the graduation evaluator. Students should apply for a degree when they have completed 50% of the degree requirements.

Filing a Graduation Application provides the student with the opportunity to review and check his or her degree or certificate requirements. It allows the student an opportunity to plan or change his/her course schedule to ensure completion of all requirements. It also ensures that all degrees/certificates earned will be correctly posted to the student's transcript.

Degrees/certificates will not be awarded if the student has not fulfilled all financial obligations to the college.


The list of courses in Washington 45 does not replace the Direct Transfer Agreement, Associate of Science Tracks I and II or any Major Related Program agreement, nor will it guarantee admission to a four-year institution.

A student who completes courses selected from within the general education categories listed below at a public community, technical, four-year college or university in Washington State will be able to transfer and apply a maximum of 45 quarter credits toward general education requirement(s) at any other public and most private higher education institutions in the state.1

For transfer purposes, a student must have a minimum grade of C or better (2.0 or above) in each course completed from this list.

Students who transfer Washington 45 courses must still meet a receiving institution's admission requirements and eventually satisfy all their general education requirements and their degree requirements in major, minor and professional programs.

"First Year Transfer List" of general education courses:

  • Communications (5 credits) - ENGL& 101, ENGL& 102
  • Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning (5 credits) - MATH& 107, MATH& 148 or MATH& 151
  • Humanities (10 credits in two different subject areas or disciplines2) - PHIL& 101, MUSC& 105, DRMA& 101, ENGL& 111, or HUM& 101

For colleges that use History as a Humanities: HIST& 116, HIST& 117, HIST& 118, HIST& 146, HIST& 147, HIST& 148

  • Social Science (10 credits in two different subject areas or disciplines) - PSYC& 100, SOC& 101, POLS& 101, POLS& 202

For colleges that use History as a Social Science: HIST& 116, HIST& 117, HIST& 118, HIST& 146, HIST& 147, HIST& 148

  • Natural Sciences (10 credits in two different subject areas or disciplines) - BIOL& 100, BIOL& 160 w/ lab, ASTR& 100, ASTR& 101 with lab, CHEM& 105, CHEM& 110 with lab, CHEM& 121 with lab, CHEM& 161, CHEM& 162, ENVS& 100, ENVS& 101, PHYS& 121, GEOL& 101 with lab.
  • Additional 5 credits in a different discipline can be taken from any category listed above.

NOTE: Although these courses are listed under categories, the actual course may satisfy a different general education category at a receiving institution.

1 Many private non-profit colleges and universities have distinct general education requirements. Students should check with institution(s) they plan to attend regarding application of transfer credits that will meet general education requirements.

2 Disciplines are sometimes called subject or subject matter areas and designated by a prefix (i.e. PHIL for Philosophy and POLS for Political Science).

Need more information?
Phone: 509-434-5162
Community Colleges of Spokane
501 N Riverpoint Blvd, MS 1009
PO Box 6000, Spokane WA 99217-6000
General Information:
Operations Hotline