Spokane Falls Community College
3410 West Fort George Wright Drive
Spokane, WA 99224-5298
Degrees and Certificates
AAS - SFCC
AAS-T - SFCC
View the program website
The two-year Graphic Design program is an intensive course of study that prepares students for entry-level jobs in design studios, advertising agencies, corporate in-house design departments and other businesses creating design, advertising and promotional content. Standards match job requirements that range from technical production abilities to high-level creative conceptualizing. The program curriculum incorporates industry design problems and projects to demonstrate student learning. Courses in design process and technology interact to deliver the skills necessary to successfully complete specific design projects. The design skills students master are applied to projects in multiple media including print, online, video, animation, motion graphics, and social media platforms.
Guided by a local advisory committee of professional designers, the program is constantly updated with the goal of placing students in entry-level design jobs. Throughout the program, there is ample opportunity for students to interact with professionals via field trips, guest lecturers, adjunct faculty and the Internet. At the end of the second year, students create professional portfolios of their work and complete internships at industry work sites.
The Graphic Design program has a very competitive application process. For more information and to review the application process, please visit the program website at:
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completing the Graphic Design AAS degree, students will:
1. Qualify for entry-level jobs in the design industry, including graphic design studios, advertising agencies, corporate marketing departments and other businesses involved in the creation and production of design projects.
2. Demonstrate proficiency in industry standard software applications.
3. Demonstrate a clear understanding of the design process as it is applied in industry.
4. Demonstrate a clear understanding of design production, project workflow, and construction of digital files appropriate to successful imaging and printing.
5. Have created a professional portfolio with which to present their body of work to potential employers.
6. Have opportunities to transfer to area universities to continue their education.